How to Change User Account Name on Windows 10 – Here are 5 Efficient Ways
If you need to change the user account name on Windows 10 for a previous user in the login screen, you can simply go to Control Panel, use a command line, and perform other methods to set up a privilege. But what should you do to change the user name account on Windows 10 when you are not able to log in to the administrator account? Just learn more about the detailed process in the article.Change Windows User Name
- Part 1: How to Change User Name in Windows 10 for Administrator
- Part 2: How to Change User Name in Windows 10 via Control Panel
- Part 3: How to Change User Account Name in Windows 10 with CMD
- Part 4: How to Change User Name in Windows 10 Using Netplwiz
- Part 5: How to Change User Name in Windows 10 from PowerShell
- Part 6: FAQs about How to Change User Name in Windows 10
Part 1: How to Change User Name in Windows 10 for Administrator
Whether you need to change the user name in Windows 10 with a command line or use the Control Panel, you have to use the privilege of an administrator. Is it possible to change the name of a forgotten admin account? imyPass Windows Password Reset enables you to change the user name of any account type.
1. Change the user name account for users and administrator.
2. Reset the password if you cannot access all account types.
3. Set up a new account without logging in to the current one.
4. Change the forgotten user name without the losing original data.Step 1Download and install imyPass Windows Password Reset on an available computer. After that, you can create a password reset CD/DVD, or even create a Flash Drive. Then you can take out the burned disk and exit this software. Step 2Insert the USB into the computer that you have forgotten the administrator account. Press F12 or ESC on the keyboard to enter the Boot menu. But different computers might use different keys for the Boot menu. Choose a suitable one according to your computer type. Step 3Once you have entered the Boot menu interface, you can select the inserted USB drive or CD/DVD drive and press the Enter button. Then you can exit the Boot menu. After that, the computer will restart automatically with the interface of imyPass Windows Password Reset. Step 4Select the Windows operating system, choose the administrator ID, you can click the Reset Password button to change the password or set it as blank. Then, you can eject your burned disk and restart your computer or make other settings. Step 5Open the Microsoft account on your web browser, and sign in to your Microsoft account. Select the Your Info menu and click the Edit name button to change the user account name in Windows 10. When you enter the user name, you can click the Save button.
Part 2: How to Change User Name in Windows 10 via Control Panel
Control Panel enables you to control and manage all user accounts, including the different access roles and permission levels. Moreover, you can change the user account name in Windows 10 and custom settings for the desktop and private storage for the files.Step 1Go to the Control Panel on your PC and select the User Account option. Click the Change account type option to change the user name in Windows 10. Step 2Click on the Local Account to choose the user you would like to change. Select the Change the account name option to change the user name on Windows 10. Step 3After that, you can also click the Change Name button and enter the new account name. Sign out and then sign back in to enable the changes on the user name. (What if Windows won’t start?)
Part 3: How to Change User Account Name in Windows 10 with CMD
To change the user account name in Windows 10 without access to a GUI, the command-line is another helpful method. But you have to run the command line within the Administrator account and restart your computer to take effect.Step 1Click the Start menu and enter the cmd in the command line. Choose the Run as administrator option next to the command prompt entry of your Windows 10. Step 2In the command prompt, you can type the command line to change the user name in Windows 10 with the “YOUR-NEW-NAME” below before pressing the Enter.
wmic computersystem where name='%computername%' call rename='YOUR-NEW-NAME'
Part 4: How to Change User Name in Windows 10 Using Netplwiz
Netplwiz is another efficient method to change the user account name in Windows 10. It is an executable file that enables you to control all the user accounts. Here is the detailed process to change and update your username in Windows 10.Step 1Just open the Run window with the Windows + R buttons, and then enter the Netplwiz. Choose the user account you want to change the name from the Users tab. Step 2After that, you can choose the Properties option, then type the new user name, full name, and description for that account. It also enables you to manage a group of users.
Part 5: How to Change User Name in Windows 10 from PowerShell
When you have the administrator, PowerShell is another method to change the user name account in Windows 10. It helps system administrators and power-users rapidly automate a task that manages operating systems within the command line within clicks.Step 1Press the Windows + X buttons to open the flyout of the Start menu. Then you can choose the Windows PowerShell (Admin) option to enter the command line. Step 2You can change a new account user name in Windows 10 with the command line information. After that, you can restart your computer to take effect accordingly.
Rename-Computer -NewName 'IMYPASS-DESKTOP'
Moreover, when you have to rename multiple user accounts, you can simply use the command line to change the information. (Find Windows recovery tool here)
Part 6: FAQs about How to Change User Name in Windows 10
1. What is the Best Method to Change User Name in Batch?
If you have a large number of accounts on the same computer, especially for training purposes, you can choose Windows PowerShell to change the user name in Windows 10 with a batch process.
2. How to Check the Name of Current Account in Windows 10?
Of course, you can go to the Control Panel to learn more details about the name of the current account in Windows 10. To know the login name of the currently logged-in user we can run the below command.
3. How to Change the Icon for User Name Account in Windows 10?
Go to the Settings menu, choose the Your info option from the Accounts option. Then you can click the Browse for one button to change the icon for the user name account in Windows 10.
The article shares the 5 different ways to change the user name in Windows 10. When you have the administrator account, you can use the command line, control panel, and more others without any problem. But if you cannot use the administrator account, imyPass Windows Password Reset is the desired way you can take into consideration.